First Unitarian Society: Meeting House Addition
The First Unitarian Society of Madison asked TKWA to design a major new addition to its Frank Lloyd Wright-designed National Historic Landmark Meeting House. Completed in 1951, the original Meeting House has been hailed as one of the world’s most innovative examples of church architecture.
As stewards of this historic building, the congregation wished to maintain the integrity of Wright’s original design, provide space for expanded daily needs, and align construction with its deeply held environmental values.
The completed addition provides a new 500-seat auditorium, office and meeting space, kitchen, fellowship, and music rehearsal space. The first LEED Gold religious facility in Wisconsin, the First Unitarian Society addition features a variety of sustainable features, including innovative stormwater management, highly efficient energy management, abundant natural daylight and ventilation, and use of local, recycled building materials.
2011 AIA COTE Top Ten Green Projects Award
AIA Committee on the Environment
2011 AIA Wisconsin Honor Award
American Institute of Architects, Wisconsin
2009 SE2 Merit Award
Wisconsin Green Building Alliance